Monday, December 15, 2008

Whatte Bookshelf!



After a lot of searching, it finally dawned that the Dream Bookshelf does not exist in a furniture shop, but has to be designed and made at home. And so it was that a friend and I embarked upon a search for crazy designs and finally mashed all our ideas together to get the above result. The carpenter took less than a week to build it.

Looks cool, whatsay? It can hold about 150 books in total, though I used the bottommost shelf for my DVDs and music. Efforts to fill the shelf with books are in full force too - vigorous biblio-retail activity, if you will. With four hours to kill Gurgaon last week, I spent them at the Landmark store and impulse-bought a few Bill Bryson titles and two more Jon Krakauer books. Added in a travelogue of Pakistan by American journalist Ethan Casey. Combined with the earlier William Dalrymples and Paul Theroux books, my collection of travel books is finally beginning to look good!

11 comments:

Vallath said...

I know this is about your bookshelf. But I just love the paint on your wall. Very bright and nice. Love the bookshelf too, of course. :-)

Anonymous said...

wow... just wow.. this shelf looks slick. One day I might end up with something like this.. my collection of bysons and therouxes and krakauers isnt 150 yet..

India Unlimited said...

Okay.I am officially jealous .I need one too.
Can you please tell me what might be the total cost of the wood and the carpenter making charges.I prolly need to sit down and construct a similar shelf on a larger scale for all the tons of books lying around in my home.
I need a price quote.Just so that i can dabble with carpenter about the price and making charges.I suck bigtime at bargaining.

aadarsh said...

Chic and original!!! bravo!

Satish K said...

Man this is fantastic.... all my life I wanted something like this....

Serendipity said...

This is really cool . and i notice someone has the collectors edition LOTR books :)

am keepign this in my mind, want to get one lke this..

Serendipity said...

NO Wait, that collectors edition LOTR DVD's :)

Debashish Pradhan said...

Good job bro! Some music to go alongwith some fundoo reading.. Seems travelling is on ur priorty.

Unknown said...

Liked the book shelf and the background. Hey which amplifier is that?

Anonymous said...

Hi.. The shelf is quite awesome.. Could you please let me know how much it costs? Would be a big help...

BombayDuck said...

Dear all, thank you for all your love and affection towards the bookshelf.

To those who want to build it, here are the design specs - http://whatblogmen.blogspot.com/2010/02/whatte-design.html

I got it built for a total of Rs 3,500. Brown paint, not polish. Good quality plywood. Depending on what finish you choose, the cost might go up.